Butterflies are one of the most beautiful and colorful insects that everybody loves. You can easily find them in the gardens or places with flowers. And today we will learn how to draw a butterfly with this easy step-by-step guide.
But before starting let me tell you a few things about butterflies. If you must have observed a butterfly carefully, you’ll notice that each side of the butterfly is exactly symmetrical to the other i.e. right side of the wing is exactly the same as the left side.
Therefore while drawing a butterfly you should try to draw it as symmetrical as possible. Check out some fun facts about butterflies before we start with the drawing.
- There are millions of species or types of butterflies.
- Butterflies come in different colors and sizes.
- There are three parts of the body in a butterfly: the head, body, and tail.
- It has 6 legs, two antennas, and 4 wings.
- Butterflies have four life stages, the egg, the larva (caterpillar), the pupa, and the adult butterfly.
- They fly from flower to flower and suck the nectar out of it.
How To Draw a Butterfly
- How to draw a butterfly printable (optional)
Guidelines About the Free Printable:
- There are 8 steps in the printable.
- Follow the tutorial and trace the drawings given in each step.
- At the end of the printable, you’ll find a light drawing of the finished butterfly in the ‘Your Drawing Canvas’ section. You can learn to draw a complete butterfly by tracing it.
- Lastly use the colors of your choice and complete the drawing.
Scroll down to grab the free How to draw a butterfly printable. Just follow the steps in the printable guide and you’ll be able to draw a butterfly in no time.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Draw a Butterfly
In this tutorial of How to Draw a Butterfly, there are 8 steps in total. Follow the steps and make your own beautiful butterfly.
Just like the bee, we’ll begin by drawing the head of the butterfly. For its head, we’ll make a small circle.
Next, we will draw the body of the butterfly. To make the body you can either draw an elongated oval below the circle or you can draw two curve lines facing each other joining at the bottom.
As we all know, butterflies have a single line of symmetry down the middle of their body. Hence, the left part of the butterfly is identical to the right part. So, when we are drawing the wings make sure that the wings on either side of the body are symmetrical.
Draw a ‘B’ shaped wings on either side of the body. This will be the fore wings or upper wings of the butterfly.
Now let us draw the other set of wings. Draw a curve starting from the lower-middle part of the upper wing. Draw other curve starting from the end of the body. Join the two curves together to make a pointy tip. Again, make a symmetrical wing on the other side of the body.
Once we are done with drawing the wings, it’s time to draw some details and make the wings even more beautiful. Let us start by drawing a curve from the sharp tip to the end of the upper wing. Now draw a spherical shape with a pointed tip (like a water droplet) on the large area of the upper wing.
Draw the same water droplet shape in the lower wings as well.
Complete the details of the wings by drawing three small circles on the fore wings. Now make two antennas. Draw two curved lines on top of the head. Lastly, draw circles on top of the lines.
Lastly, finish the butterfly by drawing two small circles in the head as the eyes. And give your butterfly a small smile.
There you have completed the butterfly. Color it with the choice of your colors and make it as beautiful as you want. But make sure you use the same color on both sides.
Now for all the little dolls out there, if you have watched any Fairy or Barbie movies, you must have seen different kinds and colors of wings. You can draw the wings of your favorite fairy and color it beautifully.
Some important tips before drawing:
- Start by drawing with a pencil. Draw with a pen or marker only after you are satisfied with the final drawing.
- Draw each step lightly, so that you don’t leave marks when you erase the wrong lines.
- Always keep an eraser handy.
That’s it for this tutorial. Hope you enjoyed drawing the butterfly. See you next time my little artists!
Don’t forget to check out other drawing tutorials: